Malaysian authorities are now investigating the entire passenger
manifest of flight MH370 after it was found that at least four
passengers with suspect identities flew on the plane that vanished
yesterday morning. Two
men – an Italian and an Austrian – have already said they were not on
the Boeing 777-200ER which took off from Kuala Lumpur International
Airport for Beijing at 12.40am on Saturday.
It lost contact with airport traffic controllers at 1.30am and never arrived in Beijing.
"We are investigating the entire manifest, not just the four
passengers," acting Transport Minister Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Hussein
said at KLIA this morning.
The missing plane has yet to be found although Hishammuddin confirmed
that oil slicks had been found in the search area in the waters between
Malaysia and Vietnam.
"The disappearance of MH370 is not something which can be taken lightly
and we cannot discount any possibilities. The intelligence agencies of
relevant countries have been informed and we will be sharing information
as investigations unfold," he said.
“Following discussions, intelligence agencies of various countries have
agreed to work together to check the passenger manifest and the stolen
passports."
Hishammuddin said closed-circuit television video footage at KLIA would also be reviewed.
“How the four individuals managed to board MH370 with stolen passports is being discussed.
"However, this is an international network and we cannot completely blame the Immigration Department."
Hishammuddin said authorities were examining the passenger manifest
again and had also met Federal Bureau Investigation (FBI) officers based
in Kuala Lumpur.
Asked whether this was a security lapse, Hishammuddin said they had not
even ascertained whether it was a security risk, let alone lapse.
"Let us not jump to conclusions and make wild speculation. If it is a
security lapse, then we have to ascertain where it occurred.
"We are looking at all possibilities but the main issue now is to locate the missing MAS MH370."
Hishammuddin said there was a possibility that MH370 may have had to do
an air turn back (ATB), which meant that search and rescue (SAR) forces
would have to widen their search.
An ATB means the aircraft had to return to the airport of origin as a
result of a malfunction or suspected malfunction of any item on the
aircraft.
"I met Singapore Defence Minister Dr Ng Eng Hen yesterday and they have
agreed to deploy an additional three vessels, including a frigate with
sonar capabilities."
He also confirmed that reports of an oil slick between Malaysia and
Vietnam were true although no debris had been found at the location.
"The Vietnamese authorities have deployed vessels to the area to
ascertain if the oil slick is aeroplane fuel and whether MH370 crashed
in the area," Hishammuddin said.
Malaysia Airlines said that the plane took off at 12.41am Malaysian
time and that it disappeared from air traffic control radar in Subang at
2.40am.
The timeline seemed to suggest that the plane stayed in the air for two
hours – long enough to fly not only across the Gulf of Thailand but
also far north across Vietnam.
But Fredrik Lindahl, the chief executive of Flightradar24, an online
aircraft tracking service, had said that the last radar contact had been
at 1.19am, less than 40 minutes after the flight began.
The authorities said yesterday that the last conversation between the
flight crew and air traffic control in Malaysia had been about 1.30am. –
March 9, 2014.

Komentar :
Posting Komentar